Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Workshop Reflections

If you've ever sat back and thought of memories from your childhood, perhaps a playground where you once flew back and forth, higher and higher on the swing set, or a house where you and your family once lived, your memories may very well be warm, vivid, and seemingly larger than life.

And yet years later, if you've ever had an opportunity to visit that house where you once lived, or the playground where you once hung out with your buddies, it strikes you as to how small the place actually is, totally unlike any of your fond recollections.

For me, the exact opposite is happening in regards to the Internet as I have known it over the past decade or more ... this thing is not getting smaller - it's getting larger by the minute, as if its secrets are being unlocked, and revealed to me for the first time.

I've learned many things these last few days, perhaps the most prominent being the realization of the existence of an intellectual online subculture - folks who spend waaaay more time engaged in activities that are probably far more productive than say - fantasy football. I've discovered an entirely new set of tools designed to increase productivity on the web, and the realization that these tools - while very useful individually, become much more powerful when when used in conjunction with each other.

What else would I like to learn? Well . . . what else is there? At this point, I'm not inclined to assume I can accurately pinpoint one thing. If the sky is the limit, how high is the sky?

No comments: