Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Blogs as an Instructional Tool

Where am I right now regarding the use of blogs as an instructional tool? Well, I have a better understanding of what a blog is, and an idea of how blogging might be used in an educational setting, but I'm not certain we can even do it in our district on a wholesale basis. In my role as an audio-visual coordinator, I provide support services to classroom teachers in 13 different buildings; I don't actually operate out of a single room, nor do I have a group of students I see on a daily basis. Our network is highly "tied down" and filtered, and I'm not so certain that many of our pathways to blogging are not actually blocked.

I'm thinking my first step is to sit down with our tech director and simply discuss blogging, or actually Web 2.0 in general, to develop an understanding of what is currently possible, and what might be possible in the future. Will we be able to utilize some of the tools that comprise Web 2.0 in the future? Perhaps ... one good sign is that I am actually participating in this class with the blessing of my district. Small steps lead to larger ones.

No comments: